Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People

3 posters

Go down

MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People Empty MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People

Post  El Guapo Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 am

If ever proof were needed that MP's are totally out of touch with the common worker in Britain this is it.. Shocked Shocked Shocked Clearly this MP does not realise hundreds of thousands of people COMMUTE into London every day! We're not all unemployed layabouts!

A VETERAN Conservative MP today said MPs should be allowed to claim expenses to travel first-class on trains because economy passengers are "a totally different type of people".
Sir Nicholas Winterton said that people travelling on the significantly cheaper standard tickets had "a different outlook on life" and were unlikely to be working or studying during their journey.

MPs deserved to be treated like businesspeople and senior public servants and should be allowed to claim for first-class travel between their constituencies and London so they can work, he said.

The Macclesfield MP's comments came after he told Total Politics magazine that he was "infuriated" by the clampdown on MPs' expenses after last year's scandal and said reforms of the Commons allowance system would "make things much worse".

Sir Nicholas told BBC Radio 5 Live's Stephen Nolan show: "If I was in standard class, I would not do work because people would be looking over my shoulder all the time, there would be noise, there would be distraction and, I am sorry, if I am doing work I want to concentrate on that. Why do businesspeople travel first class?"

Asked whether he thought standard-class passengers behaved differently from those with first class tickets, Sir Nicholas replied: "Yes, I do. They are a totally different type of people.

"There are lots of children, there is noise, there is activity...

"They have a different outlook on life. I very much doubt whether they are undertaking serious work and study, reading reports and amending reports which MPs do when they are travelling."

Nolan asked the MP whether he wanted to retract his description of standard-class passengers, and he responded: "They very often have a different outlook, of course they do, because they are in a different area of activity.

"They may be travelling just because they are on holiday or they are going to London to visit somebody. MPs are going to London to work."
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People Empty Re: MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People

Post  EarthsAngel Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am

OMG, is this guy for real? He may just help lose the election for the Tories after those remarks! What a snob, he really thinks he is above the working people of Britain.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People Empty Re: MP Says Commoners Are A Different Kind of People

Post  dolly Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:16 am

I get the gist of what he is saying about needing a business setting to do work and needing privacy from prying eyes .....but..he didn't put it across that way. That is all he needed to say, instead, the buffoon stated that we mere mortals are below him....what a prat...
He will do his party great harm, saying this...dave will be furious...he'll be on a train soon with the mere mortals ( and the press LOL), asking them what they had for breakfast....
What a Face
dolly
dolly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down