Brown Faces Iraq Inquiry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brown Faces Iraq Inquiry

Post  El Guapo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:03 am

GORDON Brown claimed today that Britain made the "right decision for the right reasons" to go to war in Iraq.
Opening his evidence to the Chilcot Inquiry, the PM expressed his sadness for the loss of life in the conflict.

But he insisted that it had been necessary for the international community to confront Saddam Hussein.

Mr Brown paid tribute to the "sacrifice" of the British troops who had lost their lives, saying: "Any loss of life is something that makes us very sad indeed."

Mr Brown said there were three areas he particularly wanted to raise with the inquiry panel.

Smiling ... PM arrivesHe said it was vital to have "proper structures of decision-making" in Government for fighting wars, to manage conflicts better and to improve how states work together in conflicts.

He added: "There will be interventions in the future, and international co-operation has got to be far greater than it was.

"Global problems require global solutions, and I would particularly draw attention to the importance in all this of the strongest possible relationship between Europe and America, something that I am determined to build up and continue to make stronger in the future."

Mr Brown told the inquiry that terrorists and "rogue states" were the "two risks to the post-Cold War world" and had to be tackled.

He said he was involved in Cabinet discussions before the invasion and was convinced that Iraq posed a threat.

He revealed: "I met the intelligence services on a number of occasions during the course of 2002 and early 2003.

"I was given information by the intelligence services which led me to believe that Iraq was a threat and had to be dealt with by the actions of the international community."

But he told the panel that he had wanted to secure international agreement to avoid war.

Fury ... protesters outside inquiry
He said: "What we wanted was a diplomatic route to succeed.

"Right up to the last minute, right up to the last weekend, I think many of us were hopeful that the diplomatic route would succeed."

The PM walked past protesters waiting outside the Queen Elizabeth II conference centre in Westminster this morning — in stark contrast to Tony Blair who snuck in through a back door in January.

Mr Brown's car pulled up outside the entrance and he smiled as he went into the building.

Advertisement

The PM's appearance at the inquiry comes as the Sun/YouGov poll reveals only a quarter of Brits believes he did "all he could" to fund our Forces in the conflict.

All five of Britain's military chiefs threatened to resign in protest at Forces budget cuts made when Mr Brown was Chancellor.

Generals have told the hearing the cut-backs left troops without key equipment in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Relatives of 37 fallen troops have written to the panel to ask them to grill the PM on why their loved ones weren't given armoured vehicles.

He agreed to attend the inquiry six weeks ago after Tory pressure.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2879468/Iraq-quiz-for-Gordon-Brown.html#ixzz0hIoVBAHJ

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't the reason given that we went to war that Saddam was hiding WMD?

It turned out he wasn't. The war was illegal no matter how much spin Labour put on it.

El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Brown Faces Iraq Inquiry

Post  Chelseaboy on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 am

Gordon brown was given a harder time in the piers morgan interview,

bloody disgusting.
Chelseaboy
Angels
Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:40 am

He should get an Oscar for his bloody performance!!!

EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:56 am

Enough of Nu LieBores filthy lies!! It was about Oil, not Saddam Hussein, it was about Blair wanting to look like the big I am in front of George Bush. All the forces who were killed out there are just canon fodder for the Blair's ego.

If it was about tyrants, they would have sent troops into Zimbabwe, Mugabe has murdered millions. People are starving to death every day in Zimbabwe, yet the whole world turns a blind eye to what is going on there, pity there is no Oil, if there was millions would have been spared a horrible death.

I see pictures on TV every day of people who just lay down and die from either starvation or Aids, I feel really sorry for them, but I can't help but think they brought it all on themselves. They murdered or ran farmers off their land and killed a Nation, maybe those who are dying or who have died in the past were a part of the killing spree or complicit by association by supporting that vile tin pot dictator, Mugabe!

EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top