Taxes, do you agree with them ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Taxes, do you agree with them ?

Post  danmaspethny on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:51 am

Workers always pay taxes,(or at least they should )
Some taxes we should all contribute to, such as the defense budget.
But should we pay a tax for something we dont necessarily use ?
Why should people with no kids pay for schools ?
why should car owners pay a tax to pay for the upkeep of public transport.
Why should someone with private health pay a further tax, for those that either dont have it or don't want it ?

over here the lottery winnings is taxed and the money is meant to pay for health care and education.It rakes in millions of dollars a year, more than enough to sort health and ecucation out.
Recently one ticket in new jersey one 211 million dollars.Now roughly half that sum will be taken in state taxes.What does the state do with that money.
( and the lotto here, always rolls over to accumalate large payouts )

Here in NY, the wish to put a tax on soda, with the excuse the extra tax will be used to fight obesity.( With no results for maybe 10-20 years )

Now here, you pay tax on your earnings,You then pay tax on everything you buy with whats left of your wages.

There are a lot of illegal immigrants here in new york, who get payed cash in hand,so only pay tax on things they buy.And not for the things they use, such as hospitals and schools.

I was talking to my friends one night over a few beers about this and suggested we scrap income tax and raise the tax on merchandise to say 20-30% this way everyone pays the same amount of tax acrooss the board.
One friend said this would'nt be fair as the rich have more money,so they would'nt pay as much tax.
But I pointed out that they would .
for example the rich still buy milk and bread,But they would pay more tax on the more expensive cars/houses/holidays they purchased.
Think about it ?

The tax on a roller for example would be alot more than the tax on a mini cooper.
Or the tax on a 2 million dollar home would be more than the tax on a medium ranged home.
As it is your tax money is being mis-spent and wasted.
They worker is being taxed out of existance.
something needs to change !
whats your thoughts about taxes ?

What do you think ?

danmaspethny

Back to top Go down

Re: Taxes, do you agree with them ?

Post  El Guapo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:47 am

Interesting idea Dan...

I think part of the reason so many people hate paying tax is because we don't seem to see any benefits as a result of it. Overpaid public servants, unnecessary bureaucracy and red tape, corruption; these all seem to drain it all away.

Raising the top rate of income tax to 50p in Britain as has been proposed isn't going to solve any problems or even raise further revenue. All it's going to do is punish the working class even further. If somebody is on an income high enough to warrant the 50p rate of tax then they are also wealthy enough to relocate offshore and pay no tax at all. This will then leave us all with a tax "black hole" which will have to be filled by the working class.

The great irony is that we call ourselves a democracy yet we are slowly moving towards a communist ideology. The state is taking practically everything we earn through income tax, stealth taxes and VAT. Disposable income for families is at an all time low.

I think it's not just reformation of income tax that is needed but reformation of the entire system. Why do we pay out benefits to newly arrived immigrants for example? Why do we give aid to other countries when we cannot afford it? Why are teenage girls actively seeking pregancy in order to secure housing? It's absolute madness...

In Britain we currently have a paradox. It is actually better to be unemployed and on benefits than in full time employment as by being on benefits you actually have more disposable income than a worker!

I think the time has come to recognise Britain is a tiny Island with very limited resources and we cannot continue this philosophy of trying to solve all of the World's problems. When was the last time anybody gave us any aid?

The war in the Middle East also isn't helping. We're only there because Tony Blair hoped for a share of the spoils but anyone with an ounce of sense can see this is a war we're never going to win. Did we learn nothing from the mistakes of Vietnam? The drain on finances this War is causing is unnecessary and is simply prolonging the global recession.

Anyway...I can rant for hours about the evils of tax so I'll leave it here and let someone else comment! lol

El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:10 am

If you go to places like Estonia to live you have to be there for ages before you are entitled to benefits. A little while ago they did a programme on it and this guy went to check these places out to see if they operated a quid pro quo system and none of them did. We hand out housing and benefits because we operate a welfare state. Unfortunately this welfare state is not serving those who deserve help, the sick, elderly, the dispossesed, it is serving layabout yobs and their pregnant hangers on, immigrants who want to beg on street corners by the gang load and general dole wallahs who think the world owes the a bloody living.

Meanwhile the streets get filthier because nobody gives a shit about living in a nice clean place, out motorway verges are clogged with litter jettisoned from cars and lorries by bloody morons and it seems that it's supposedly OK. All these layabouts should be cleaning it up in order to get their money.

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:20 am

A lot of countries operate a points system..I still don't understand why we do not.

And why are benefits paid in cash? This isn't free money! All benefits should be paid in vouchers IMO.

El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  danmaspethny on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm

ok, guys,hows about like I said, You are given a choice as to where your tax money is spent.

say you live in london, a big metropolis.A place that is a mecca for illegai immigrants.
What if you were able to fill in a form at the start of the tax year,and state that you didn't want your taxes funding housing,or going to pay benefits for people who have never put a penny in the pot.
That you wish your taxes to be spent on YOUR local hospital, Your local schools,police force, street cleaning etc.
Why on earth should your tax money be spent on other areas that you have interest in ?
Why should anyone fund the life of a lazy fat bastard,who has never done a days hard graft in their life ?
because they know have to use the system to their advantage ?
Why pay for an immigrant to learn the english language.When they should have learnt it before they ever set foot on british soil.If their intention was to move there ?
As the tax pot grows, the pool donating to it is getting smaller.
When will it end ?

danmaspethny

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:53 am

Excellent post Dan and great comments.

I hate having to pay so much tax, its the stealth taxes that really irk me. We Pay tax on our income, then we pay VAT on everything we purchase. We pay road tax, petrol tax yes our roads are a disgrace, potholes everywhere ruining our cars. We pay rates on our home and VAT on top of that. I'm sure if we actually sat down and worked out how much tax we pay each month, it would probably be close to 90% of our earnings.

We shouldn't have to pay tax on amenities we don't use. i don't have kids, so why should i pay for schools? I have to pay for Park that we can't go into because of crime, I pay rates, water and electricity on top of that we pay another 14% VAT. Our rates are high, yet we have to clean our own sidewalks, cut the grass, keep the storm drains clear etc. We pay a high price for electricity yet 2/3rds of the population get it for free (Normally stolen) All we can from the municipality in a refuge collection once a week.

The reason I won't come back to the UK is.......I refuse to pay for yobs, Immigrants and bogus asylum seekers to live a life of luxury off my back.

There needs to be a revolution, but we know it will never happen, the Brits have lost their balls.

EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 am

It's a nice concept Dan but IMO totally unworkable. Tax needs to spent in the right amounts in the right areas. The problem we currently have is that nobody seems to know where the right areas are and what the right amounts should be.

Tax doesn't go directly to each local authority. (although maybe it should?) Tax goes into one big pot owned by the Government which is then proportionally doled out to each constituent.

Because this is the way the system works it would be down to the Government to decide, "Ok...area A has more car drivers than area B, so area A gets the improvements on the roads. Area B has more sick people so more money goes to that particular hospital etc etc..."

Doing it like this would lead to gross unfairness and corruption IMO. I.e. Who decides which area is in need of what and would certain sectors be more able to lobby MP's for cash in specific areas using this system? I think they would.

El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  danmaspethny on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:37 am

morning el,
I do agree that it would be hard to do,but the thing is where all used to the system,thats in place and so accept it.

politicians are lobbied all the time.and given kick backs, on government contracts, and where taxes should be spent.Look at obama and health care, he gave a couple of senators hundreds of millions of dollars for their areas,If they voted for the health bill.
now corruption and politicains go hand in hand.We all know it.So what if each area payed tax in to their own pot,and then at the end of each fiscal year. The council/ government printed a report of tax money collected, against tax money spent ?

You would see instantly how much was in the pot for that year and see instantly where that tax money was spent.

Say for example kent, tax it's citizens across the board 30%.Then at the end of the year. They say we have a billion quid ( example only )
The council can then go to the tax office of the area look up where the citizens want the money spent, and hand out the exact amounts needed to to take care of potholes, street lights ,parks etc.
Give money to hospitals,clinics,schools and so on.That way ,everyone knows where the money is going and how much is being spent in which area.
You no longer put your trust in a government payed accountant to monitor the taxes being spent. You can go online and do it yourself.
Take the pot holes for example,
if a contractor gets the bid, hes payed monthly for the job.If there work is shoddy or not even being done. Then the account is frozen and he gets no more money.and fined for the money he has already excepted.
Say an illegal shows up in kent and heads straight to the dole office looking for a hand out.
You sit him down and ask a few simply questions.and if he cant even answer in english, show him the down straight away.
Everyone knows that if you live on a budget, you will try your best to live within your means.
you actually take responsibility for the cash flow.
at the moment the government has an open wallet,and is just throwing money at things. If they have to be more careful they might start doing their jobs properly.

danmaspethny

Back to top Go down

Post  danmaspethny on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:45 am

As another example,I work in construction.When I get the contract
theres always a clause in it that states.At a certain stage of the construction.I should be so far along with the construction.
ie, by the 5th week all internal walls should be standing and ready for the electrical and plumbing fit.
failure to achieve that, results in my company paying an agreed penalty for every day it takes to get the walls up.And payment is stopped until the walls are completed.

If the job over runs the shceduled finish date.I can get penalised thousands of dollars a week until the job is completed.

believe me ,this never happens ( not now anyway ) because I know what happens should I over run. Why cant the government spending tax money be treated the same way ?

danmaspethny

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 am

Its afternoon here mate! lol

I guess my concern is that this system could lead to unbalance in services depending on region.

I do agree however that total transparency is needed. Any company in England and Wales needs to file accounts at Companies House which are freely available to view by the public. Why aren't Government accounts also freely available for inspection? It's this air of secrecy that people object to and rightly so..

El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top