Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet Psychosis

4 posters

Go down

Internet Psychosis Empty Internet Psychosis

Post  El Guapo Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:04 am

Internet Psychosis. Is there such a thing? From my observations over the past two years I am convinced that there is. What is it about the internet that is so addictive to some? What is it about the little square electronic window into a cyber world that some people find so fascinating?

The introduction of the world wide web into modern day life has been an enrichment for many. The wealth of information now only a few clicks away is being enjoyed by people across the globe. The internet has given us a faster and cheaper method of communicating with people everywhere and many firm and lasting friendships have been forged.

But there is a darker side...

What happens when the internet suddenly becomes more sinister? What happens when the internet, instead of being a welcome addition to everyday social interaction, suddenly becomes a dangerous and harmful substitution? Whilst real friendships can be made online they are few and far between. You are probably more likely to win the lottery than you are to meet somebody you can trust.

Humans are creatures of emotion but allowing an electronic device to manipulate those emotions will only ever end in tears. Would any of you be as emotionally attached to the kettle or the fridge as some of you are to your computer? Ask yourselves why not...

We think we truly know people sometimes when in fact all we know is what we percieve the person behind the avatar to be. Very rarely do we discover our perceptions to be correct as we subconciously warm to or draw away from the Avatars we like. In the same way that first impressions last in the real world they also last in cyberspace. The only difference is that the first impressions in cyberspace are based upon a fictional picture uploaded by the user.

In the real world we base our friendships with people on a number of different factors. Appearance, political stance, and personality are of the greatest influence. How do we ascertain such traits accurately from an online character on the net? The answer is we cannot. It is impossible.

When you find yourself becoming emotionally affected by online antics, to the point where you find yourself in tears or ill health, the best advice is to simply....switch off and read a book.
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Internet Psychosis Empty Re: Internet Psychosis

Post  Guest Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 am

I like my fridge Shocked What a Face

I know what you mean about the avatars as we have seen from some that get put up by certain "ladies". Laughing

It's interesting that that is one of the reasons though that people are drawn to someone on the net. I lost the first one I used, the guy with the frozen beard, deleted it off by accident i think and I can't remember where i got it from

No

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:40 am

Brilliant post El very thought provoking. I agree with what you say, we do become far too attached to the Internet and it can be a very dangerous and sad place. We don't think we really ever know the person behind the Avatar do we? I think the best way to handle the emotional side, it to not get too involved, know when to back away and know when to just switch off the computer.

I think I have learned a lot from the Internet and forums. I have met some really nice people who I think are genuine and decent. Nel, Hob, Dolly. Xtras, Winston and quite a few others give me faith in humanity. I have made friends on the net and most I am still good friends with after more than two years. They are all the sort of people I would be very happy to meet in real life and I'm sure that they would be exactly the same people in real life.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chelseaboy Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:25 am

El_Guapo wrote:Internet Psychosis. Is there such a thing? From my observations over the past two years I am convinced that there is. What is it about the internet that is so addictive to some? What is it about the little square electronic window into a cyber world that some people find so fascinating?

The introduction of the world wide web into modern day life has been an enrichment for many. The wealth of information now only a few clicks away is being enjoyed by people across the globe. The internet has given us a faster and cheaper method of communicating with people everywhere and many firm and lasting friendships have been forged.

But there is a darker side...

What happens when the internet suddenly becomes more sinister? What happens when the internet, instead of being a welcome addition to everyday social interaction, suddenly becomes a dangerous and harmful substitution? Whilst real friendships can be made online they are few and far between. You are probably more likely to win the lottery than you are to meet somebody you can trust.

Humans are creatures of emotion but allowing an electronic device to manipulate those emotions will only ever end in tears. Would any of you be as emotionally attached to the kettle or the fridge as some of you are to your computer? Ask yourselves why not...

We think we truly know people sometimes when in fact all we know is what we percieve the person behind the avatar to be. Very rarely do we discover our perceptions to be correct as we subconciously warm to or draw away from the Avatars we like. In the same way that first impressions last in the real world they also last in cyberspace. The only difference is that the first impressions in cyberspace are based upon a fictional picture uploaded by the user.

In the real world we base our friendships with people on a number of different factors. Appearance, political stance, and personality are of the greatest influence. How do we ascertain such traits accurately from an online character on the net? The answer is we cannot. It is impossible.

When you find yourself becoming emotionally affected by online antics, to the point where you find yourself in tears or ill health, the best advice is to simply....switch off and read a book.

Superb El
Chelseaboy
Chelseaboy
Angels
Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Yea, and remember, the words disappear, as easily as posting a post that doesn't appear. All it takes is refresh! Grrrrrrrrrr Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  xtras Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm

LMAO!!! maiden xx

so true el x
xtras
xtras

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Aye, that would be because for the second time I have typed a long post, and that was the second one that vanished into cyberspace. I give up! Internet Psychosis 12381

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down