Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Immigration damaging Britain??

3 posters

Go down

Is Immigration damaging Britain?? Empty Is Immigration damaging Britain??

Post  Jimmy Saville Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 am

The key point is which immigration? and which immigrant? Too often all people coming to Britain are very unhelpfully lumped together in the same, single, over politicised and ill defined category. This confuses the debate, and adds unnecessary emotion to the topic.

Britain has a long history of immigration, however each new group of arrivals has integrated and become a fully successful part of British culture – so much so that within single generations the ‘immigrant’ and his/her family is not just accepted as living in the nation, but part of the nation. Celebrity examples could be Michael Howard, Dame Kelly Holmes, Levi Roots and Sir Trevor McDonald, but there are millions and indeed few if any are without DNA from those with overseas origins. We don’t even think about their ancestors - each of them is ”one of us”.

Democracy requires us to accept each others as the same, equal citizens – as “a demos”, which translates as “a people” – or we cannot accept the result as legitimate (imagine the friction if the USA and Canada had one parliament, or Australia and New Zealand).

But not all immigration is like this. The advent of multi-culturalism has changed the set up so that multiple cultures can live within one state. Indeed they can; no one found Levi Root’s Reggae Reggae Sauce, a celebration of Jamaican heritage, a problem – because he was still British as well. He is British with Jamaican ancestors.

The problem arises when immigrants or descendants of immigrants take the ‘either/or’ routeand choose the non-British option. They believe they are either XXXXX or British, rather than British with XXXXX ancestors/roots, and when those cultural roots dominate their personality – things like language, physically noticeable religion etc. This causes friction. When people make demands to accommodate their culture, it’s even worse.

The old adage of “when in Rome, do as the Romans” holds true. If you go abroad, especially if permanently, common decency and respect requires us to respect and mostly integrate into the local way of life. It should be the way of life why you moved there. In America, it has been a melting pot, but imagine the carnage and friction if all had kept their old cultures fully. The same applies to Britain. Some immigration has integrated and benefited us, some sadly hasn’t. It’s not about race or ethnicity, but about whether people want to be part of Britain or just live here.
Jimmy Saville
Jimmy Saville

Back to top Go down

Is Immigration damaging Britain?? Empty Re: Is Immigration damaging Britain??

Post  DarkLord Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:02 am

When in Rome do as the Romans do?? Seriously? Have you ever seen Brits abroad? Wherever they go they set up their own little British community & when people come here they are usually disliked by the British so tend to stick with people more like them.......

Is immigration damaging Britain? Britain was built on Immigration. England got it's name thanks to immigration. Britain became world famous thanks to immigration. Britain once ruled the world thanks to immigration. As these are all true the answer to the question is No...... Britain is doing a fine job of damaging itself......
DarkLord

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 am

DarkLord wrote:When in Rome do as the Romans do?? Seriously? Have you ever seen Brits abroad? Wherever they go they set up their own little British community & when people come here they are usually disliked by the British so tend to stick with people more like them.......

Is immigration damaging Britain? Britain was built on Immigration. England got it's name thanks to immigration. Britain became world famous thanks to immigration. Britain once ruled the world thanks to immigration. As these are all true the answer to the question is No...... Britain is doing a fine job of damaging itself......

Actually....that's a very good point. Many Brits who move to places like France or Spain do absolutely nothing to integrate with the "natives." There are places in Spain which have been destroyed forever by Brits setting up pubs, pie and mash shops and chippies!

El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I agree that some Brits abroad are really spoiling Spain, France etc. but there are many (my Aunt is one) who moved away from all the scummy pubs, fish and chip and London pubs. She learned Spanish and got to know all the locals. Many are arrogant and treat the Spanish like scum.

I think some of the latter-day immigration has been bad for Britain though, third world murderers and thugs were allowed in ad lib, they weren't checked for previous criminal records. They weren't checked for disease such a s TB which has now become quite alarming in a once TB free country. The ones who come to the UK to live off benefits, those who don't want to work to better their lot and give their families a better life really piss me off, I think they are a drain that Britain doesn't need.

Those who come to work and try to make a better life for their family should be welcomed.

I also think that chavs, the underclass, the scum of the earth should all be rounded up and forced to get off their fat arses and made to work. Pick up the litter they throw all over the place.

I think controlled immigration is good, but Britain can't cope with the numbers of the last few years.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:21 am

I moved this thread from the guest lounge, I think it's more suited to this thread.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down