Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-Religionism V Racism

5 posters

Go down

Anti-Religionism V Racism Empty Anti-Religionism V Racism

Post  northern-star Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:38 am

Why are these often misunderstood?
northern-star
northern-star

Back to top Go down

Anti-Religionism V Racism Empty Re: Anti-Religionism V Racism

Post  EarthsAngel Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:20 am

I think it's used as an excuse NS, if people complain about Islam or Muslims in the UK or Europe, they are branded racists. Is it the same? One is a religion, how can it be racist to have an objection to a religion? I don't like any form of organized religion, I loathe that Catholic Priests got away with pedophilia for so long. I don't like to see masses of people being brain washed and controlled by religion, does that make me a racist?

Racism is when one objects to another based on their skin colour or ethnic origins. Nothing to do with religion.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:59 am

I think people often confuse the term racism with prejudice.

As Ea says racism is the objection to another based on their skin colour or ethnic origins. Prejudice is slightly different.

Prejudice is the presumption that certain groups must behave in a certain way or have certain characteristics. For example, it's not racist to say every Muslim is a terrorist but it is prejudiced. Another prejudice, for example, would be to say all Jews have lots of money, or every Brit is a lager lout.

I don't think racism is ever excusable but I can tolerate prejudice sometimes because I think the reasons people have for each of these are different. Prejudice stems from ignorance which can be fixed. Racism, on the other hand, stems from illogical hate, which is often far more difficult to overlook.
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkLord Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 am

The objection to another based on their skin colour or ethnic origins is a prejudice, just a specific one. Same with the objection to another based on their religious beliefs, or the clothes they wear, or the people they choose to sleep with, or what gender they are.....

Basically, Sexism, Racism (In its current guise), homophobia, "Anti-Religionism", even Arachnophobia are all forms of prejudice. The differing terms used just specify what the prejudice is related to.

Every single person on the planet is guilty of a prejudice, but society wants to make us feel bad about certain prejudices. Personally, I'm peopleist. If you got ten people from each country on the planet & lined them all up in front of me I would probably find at least 8 people from each group that I didn't like for no particular reason except how they look. It's life. I just wish people would realise that....
DarkLord
DarkLord

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:06 pm

I have to say I think prejudice, phobia and racism are all entirely separate things. I think when people confuse what each are it leads to the problems we constantly see in society.

Something like arachnophobia isn't a prejudice. It's an irrational fear. In other words, even though you know the spider can't harm you (assuming it's not one of those big bastards) you nevertheless scream like a little girl and jump on the sofa whilst grabbing a can of nearby air freshener to use as a makeshift flamethrower.

A prejudice is different. A prejudice occurs from a lack of knowledge. In other words it stems from ignorance. A prejudice is a personal conclusion based upon little knowledge of fact. A prejudice can be cured with education.

Racism is a far darker thing. Racism occurs irrespective of knowledge. Racism is pure unadulterated hate based upon nothing more than colour. It doesn't matter how much the racist knows about the people he hates, he hates them anyway.

With racism comes prejudice, but the same cannot be said for the reverse. As a result of racism a person can form certain negative assumptions, or prejudices, about a group of people, but a person with prejudice doesn't always still hate after he learns more about the people he is prejudiced against.
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  chelseaz Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 pm

sorry don't agree with either of you....lol
chelseaz
chelseaz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkLord Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:36 am

I hate to disagree with you mate, but the way I see it is like this.

As you said, arachnophobia is an irrational fear. An irrational fear could be described as a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. The spider can’t hurt you which takes away the reason & people with arachnophobia have no actual experience of a spider which can hurt them, especially so if you live in the UK.
A prejudice is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Racism is defined as: “the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races”
Now if someone is racist & is ignorant of the facts concerning race then their racism is a preconceived opinion which is not based on reason or actual experience. Or a prejudice……
If they are clued up on races then they know that all members of each race do not posses characteristics, abilities or qualities specific to that race. As they know that it’s not the case yet are still “racist” then their racism has no reason, no basis & is therefore irrational or a preconceived opinion which is not based on reason or actual experience or a prejudice…….

As I said, the way I see it is prejudice is the general term. Racism, Phobias, Anti-whatever’s are the specific terms. It’s not possible to be racist without being prejudice, but it is possible to be prejudice without being racist. You need the general to have the specific, but you don’t require the specific to have the general.
DarkLord
DarkLord

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:41 am

DarkLord wrote:I hate to disagree with you mate, but the way I see it is like this.

As you said, arachnophobia is an irrational fear. An irrational fear could be described as a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience. The spider can’t hurt you which takes away the reason & people with arachnophobia have no actual experience of a spider which can hurt them, especially so if you live in the UK.
A prejudice is a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Racism is defined as: “the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races”
Now if someone is racist & is ignorant of the facts concerning race then their racism is a preconceived opinion which is not based on reason or actual experience. Or a prejudice……
If they are clued up on races then they know that all members of each race do not posses characteristics, abilities or qualities specific to that race. As they know that it’s not the case yet are still “racist” then their racism has no reason, no basis & is therefore irrational or a preconceived opinion which is not based on reason or actual experience or a prejudice…….

As I said, the way I see it is prejudice is the general term. Racism, Phobias, Anti-whatever’s are the specific terms. It’s not possible to be racist without being prejudice, but it is possible to be prejudice without being racist. You need the general to have the specific, but you don’t require the specific to have the general.

I think we're both saying the same thing tbh...only in diff ways lol!
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:42 am

northern-star wrote:Why are these often misunderstood?

Anti religionism is an act of the mind, whereas racism is visceral.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down