Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuition Fees - Right To Scrap The Cap?

Go down

Tuition Fees - Right To Scrap The Cap? Empty Tuition Fees - Right To Scrap The Cap?

Post  El Guapo Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:02 am

THOUSANDS of university students will be saddled with £70,000 debts under plans to scrap the cap on tuition fees.

It would see them paying up to £12,000 a year for courses, plus thousands on rent and living costs.

The Government was deeply divided last night over the proposals from ex-BP chief Lord Browne's review of funding.

Business Secretary Vince Cable said he was ready to raise the existing cap on fees from £3,290 to £7,000.

But with Lib Dem MPs threatening to revolt, he said he was still looking at Lord Browne's proposal to let the best universities charge higher fees.

Advertisement
Quantcast

The increase is deeply embarrassing for Mr Cable and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg. During the general election campaign, they both vowed to oppose any hike.

Mr Cable admitted the U-turn had left "skidmarks on the road to Westminster".

Under Lord Browne's scheme, the basic tuition fee would rise to around £6,000 a year - but there would be no cap. He said some universities should be free to charge up to £12,000 but they would have to pay a levy to the Government from the extra cash they get.

Graduates would start repaying their loans monthly once they earn more than £21,000.

Lib Dem deputy leader, Simon Hughes, warned that the Browne proposals must not be the "last word" on tuition fees.

Ex-leader Sir Menzies Campbell said he will not break his promise to oppose a rise in fees.

I understand we're trying to reduce the deficit etc but is scrapping the cap on tuition fees really the way to go? I think it will only dissuade many people from going on to higher education. Nobody wants to be saddled with a 70K debt and I can't help but think it will only result in the very well off getting degrees and higher paid employment.

What does everyone else think?
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down