Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events

2 posters

Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events

Post  EarthsAngel Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 am

This is a brilliant article, you should C&P it and send on out to everyone you know. I am sending it to every MP I have e-mail addys for and to Cameron!
They can only get away with sort of thing if YOU allow them to!f you go to the article on Daily Mail online, the comments are great, you aren't alone.

Army medals out, Gay Pride badges in, and theft blamed on badgers to cut crime rates: How political correctness is crippling my police force

Writing anonymously, for very obvious reasons, a police inspector reveals to the Mail how the force he loves is being crippled by political correctness and the (often dishonest) pursuit of government targets

Diversity is sacrosanct: One police officer improves community relations at a Gay Pride march

Diversity is sacrosanct: One police officer improves community relations at a Gay Pride march

The suspect stared at me with hooded eyes, devoid of any emotion or conscience. His emaciated figure was so wrecked by heroin abuse that he could barely raise his arms.

‘Hello, inspector, it’s me again,’ he said, his voice dripping with disdain.

He had every reason to sound cynical, even contemptuous. He was a one-man crimewave, a prolific offender whose miserable life was dominated by violence, drugs and thieving, yet in all his years of delinquency he had never been properly punished by our laughably misnamed justice system.

When he was brought into the station last week, on a charge of stealing from a 94-year-old woman, I had a look at his record. It was a lengthy indictment of the incredible leniency of our courts.

Aged only 23, he had been arrested 80 times and convicted of an incredible 140 offences.

Among his crimes were assault, aggravated burglary, blackmail, theft and possession of Class A and Class B drugs.

His behaviour has long been out of control, showing respect for neither the law nor the rights of others. But despite his lengthy catalogue of offending, he has spent just 12 weeks in prison.

The only lesson he has ever learned is that he has nothing to fear from the courts. No doubt he will receive another ineffectual slap on the wrist the next time he is up before a judge.

* Cash-strapped council rebrands Brixton riots as an 'uprising' (and funds the 30th anniversary 'celebrations')

As a long-serving police inspector, I despair of the reluctance of the state to deal vigorously with serious criminals such as this thuggish drug addict. This soft, destructive stance not only weakens public faith in the fight against crime, but also undermines the morale of the police.

What drags down our effectiveness, however, is not just the useless courts system that so often undoes all the effort we put into building cases, but also the highly politicised, target-driven, dogma-fixated culture of the police hierarchy.
Good humoured: But police officers spend more time in diversity training than they do learning to use batons and tasers

Good humoured: But police officers spend more time in diversity training than they do learning to use batons and tasers

Instead of allowing us to focus on the real task of tackling criminality, police chiefs and politicians have bogged us down in bureaucracy, much of it driven by fashionable obsessions with multiculturalism and meaningless performance statistics.

Official determination to manipulate crime figures has reached new heights of idiocy. Data is no longer a reflection of performance, but an exercise in deceit of the public.

In this brave new world of propaganda — conjured up by a string of directives — a vast array of crimes are reclassified by ‘crime managers’ to lessen their seriousness.
Badger damage: Potting shed break-ins are blamed on the animals to keep crime figures down

Badger damage: Potting shed break-ins are blamed on the animals to keep crime figures down

So burglaries of potting sheds become ‘badger damage’, broken windows are blamed on ‘frost’ and stolen handbags are listed as ‘lost or misplaced’.

Even vandalism to vehicles can be ascribed to ‘stones thrown up by speeding cars’.

The warped priorities of this culture are also reflected in the ridiculous amount of time we have to devote to the creed of diversity.

At times it seems as if the modern police force is seen by senior managers as a vehicle for social engineering rather than deterring crime.

My internal office phone directory lists no fewer than 32 officers with ‘diversity’ in their job title, all of them working nine-to-five in desk-bound jobs, while we slog it out on the front line. I was half-hoping that, given their irrelevance to the battle against crime, they might be made redundant in the public-sector cuts, but that was far too optimistic.

Diversity is sacrosanct, its commissars are protected and its influence is all dominant.

So in our training, for instance, just one day a year is devoted to practical instruction in officer safety, dealing with procedures such as correct use of handcuffs, Tasers and batons, or how to put a violent suspect in a van or cell.

Yet the effort devoted to diversity is far greater. We have to carry out two days of diversity training a year at headquarters, another day at our divisions, go through an eight-hour ‘e-learning’ package on our computers and, in our annual performance appraisal forms, show that we have accomplished three separate objectives ‘to raise diversity awareness’.

In addition, during weekly individual meetings with our supervisor, we have to explain what we have done to promote cultural diversity.

The minutiae of Hindu festivals, details of Black History month and the rituals of gypsy culture are all drummed into us. The whole pantomime is idiotic, especially in my neighbourhood where the ethnic minority is tiny.

Once, as one of my personal ‘diversity objectives’, I stated I had listened to some Indian sitar music in a Manchester park.

Such absurdities can be found everywhere in the police. So we were told recently that former servicemen like me were no longer allowed routinely to wear medal ribbons on our uniforms, as had previously been customary, because such insignia might be deemed offensive to Muslims and Irish people. However, we have been encouraged to wear Gay Pride badges.

Similarly, Welsh and Scottish police forces are allowed to wear their national badges on their uniforms, but the St George’s flag appears to have been banned by English forces, as if our national identity is an embarrassment.
Diwali: The minutiae of Hindu festivals, details of Black History month and the rituals of gypsy culture are all drummed into police

Diwali: The minutiae of Hindu festivals, details of Black History month and the rituals of gypsy culture are all drummed into police

The neurosis about diversity is also reflected in the requirement to cater for every type of inmate, so our custody suites have a menu of no less than 16 choices, include low-carb, vegetarian, fat-free, kosher and halal.

The ideology extends to the front line. When visiting a Muslim household, we are instructed to remove our shoes, but I have refused to obey that edict because I believe it is disrespectful to my position as British police officer.
Political correctness has destroyed the moral self-confidence of senior managers

On one occasion, I had to call on a Muslim family and the daughter refused to let me in until I had taken off my boots.

I simply told her that, while on duty, I was not prepared to remove any part of my equipment, footwear included. So she went off to her father to report my non-compliance, only to find he did not object at all to me keeping my boots on.

When I reported this back to the Diversity Unit, the officer implied that I must have intimidated the father, which was nonsense.

This diversity officer was indulging in just the kind of stereotyping he condemns in others, clinging to the belief that every Muslim adheres devotedly to religious custom.

On another occasion, I was given a reprimand because I told a family that their son was a drug dealer. The mother had made a complaint that we were harassing him.

When I turned up at her home, which appeared to be well-equipped with the proceeds of his drug crimes, I told her frankly: ‘We keep arresting him because he’s a dealer.’

Such honesty prompted another complaint from her, and I was told I should have shown more ‘tolerance and politeness’ in my language towards the family.
Binge drinking: Two laws can be used to deal with inebriated youngsters - depending on how the crime stats are looking

Binge drinking: Two laws can be used to deal with inebriated youngsters - depending on how the crime stats are looking

It was just another indicator of how political correctness has destroyed the moral self-confidence of senior managers.

Almost as depressing is the dead-weight of bureaucracy. Form-filling has become an end in itself.

For example, we were recently asked to fill in a 14-page document called a Display Screen Risk Assessment, which was meant to detail the safety of our working environment, including computers and furniture.

The whole exercise was absurd, since all our office equipment is supplied centrally — and therefore, by definition, approved — by the very bureaucrats asking us to fill in these safety forms.

Bureaucracy also means that crime figures can’t be trusted. Successive governments have been fond of boasting about falling crime rates, but I’m afraid the statistics are less and less reliable.

To take one classic example, a group of youngsters binge-drinking in a town square could be dealt with under Section 5 of the Public Order Act, which would mean their behaviour would be recorded as a violent crime, leading to action through the courts.

Or it could just be handled as an incidence of drunk and disorderly conduct under more ancient laws, with the result that the crime would not be recordable and the offenders would be sent home or kept in the cells until they sobered up.

So, often, the police response will depend entirely on that month’s crime statistics. If the local chiefs think the crime rate has been too high in recent weeks, they will demand that no arrests be made under Section 5.

Instead, all miscreants should be treated under the less rigorous category of drunk and disorderly. This does nothing for police or public morale, particularly if crimes have taken place.
Waste is also endemic, with too little concern shown by senior managers for taxpayers’ money

Waste is also endemic, with too little concern shown by senior managers for taxpayers’ money.

At one stage we were issued with a fleet of fast-pursuit vehicles — standard saloons fitted with all the mod cons of policing, such as radars, radios and computers.

But we found that, at speed, the cars were uncontrollable. The only way of making them safe was, believe it or not, to put a quarter of a ton of sand in the boot.

There were similar problems with new four-wheel-drive estate cars for firearms officers, which were discovered to be simply not big enough for four armed officers with all their equipment.

So, though we didn’t need such gas-guzzlers, they had to be passed on to the rank and file. More money down the drain.

At a time of financial cuts, none of this has raised our spirits. Nor has the aloof attitude of some of our senior personnel.

In one ludicrous instruction, they barred us from having a cup of tea with paramedics at the ambulance base beside the local hospital because they said the water boilers might be unsafe, though such camaraderie has long been an integral part of the emergency services.
Eco-friendly: The new four-wheel-drive cars for firearms officers were discovered to be simply not big enough

Eco-friendly: The new four-wheel-drive cars for firearms officers were discovered to be simply not big enough

Even more offensive was their decision to bar the playing of radios at police premises, on the grounds they could not afford the £20,000 fee under new licensing regulations.

Yet these same high-minded, prudent chiefs can be seen swanning around in £60,000, top-of-the range BMWs bought at the public’s expense.

On coming to power last May, the Coalition was meant to have changed all this. As the parties of reform, the Tories and Lib Dems would lead the fight against crime. Yet the culture of bureaucracy and diversity remains intact.

Often the rhetoric of the Coalition is simply ignored. So Home Secretary Theresa May recently announced she had abolished a raft of performance targets.

These included the specific requirement that, as part of their annual performance appraisal, officers had to set out three objectives for raising public confidence.

This bureaucratic ‘public confidence’ order, she said, was consigned to the dustbin of history. Yet, in reality, it carries on, just under the new title of ‘public satisfaction’ objectives.

Dogmatic officialdom continues on its own sweet, expensive way — and we in the poor bloody infantry are continually hampered in the struggle to do our job, which is to actually fight crime.

* The inspector is a senior police officer serving in the South-East. inspectorgadget.wordpress.com

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375009/Political-correctness-crippling-police-force-Gay-Pride-badges-army-medals-out.html#ixzz1J2VN2OMG
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty Ministers criticise 'wasteful' council mileage perks

Post  EarthsAngel Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Councils are being accused of wasting millions of pounds on motoring perks for staff, with some receiving 65p per mile when using their own car for work.

The Taxpayers' Alliance, a group which lobbies for lower taxes and greater public sector efficiency, found last year's average for UK councils was 56p.

The HM Revenue and Customs-approved level at the time was 40p.

The Local Government Association has disputed the figures, but ministers called the subsidies a waste of money.

Local Government Minister Bob Neill said: "Town halls are wasting millions of pounds of taxpayers' money by these preferential and privileged motoring perks."

Among those local authorities offering the highest mileage allowance were Lancashire, Derbyshire, Cornwall and Warwickshire, according to the Taxpayers' Alliance survey.

Those on the average mileage would have ended up £164 better off for every 1,000 miles driven, the study found.

In all, local authorities paid staff a total of £427m in mileage allowances in 2009-10, up from £402 million in 2008-09, the Taxpayers' Alliance said.
'Painless saving'

Its director Matthew Sinclair said: "Ordinary motorists who are feeling the pinch will be shocked that council staff are getting such a generous deal for their mileage claims. It simply isn't fair.

"Some authorities have shown that it is possible to save millions by cutting back to the rate recommended by the taxman.

"This is a quick and painless saving that won't affect council services and will ease the burden on households, who've seen council tax double in the last decade."

Minister Mr Neill agreed that "simple changes like clamping down on these subsidies would help councils drive down costs and protect front-line services".

But the Local Government Association said the only council workers able to claim the 65p rate were casual users with the largest cars.

The vast majority, including care givers and social care workers, were on a 50.5p rate, it said.

It added that mileage allowances had been renegotiated since the Taypayers' Alliance carried out its research, and would have been frozen or lowered.

Lancashire County Council said its high ranking by the lobby group was incorrect, but that it was not a surprise as it was one of the largest authorities in the country.

County treasurer Gill Kilpatrick said: "These figures are out of date and don't reflect the current position here in Lancashire, where we will save £2.5m on car travel in the current year."

The council did not reveal its current average mileage payment.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty SCANDAL OF THE CIVIL SERVANTS WHO RUN UP £1BN...

Post  EarthsAngel Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Senior public sector managers entitled to use the controversial “Government Procurement Cards” spent £987million in 2010, almost identical to the gravy-train total for the previous year.

Staff at the BBC, the Construction Industry Training Board and the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils were the top three spenders.

Campaigners and politicians condemned the “scandalous” waste of taxpayers’ funds at a time when thousands of public sector workers face the axe in deficit-busting government cuts.

Charlotte Linacre of the TaxPayers’ Alliance said: “It’s scandalous that almost a billion is still getting racked up on civil servants’ expense accounts.

“Those employed to serve the public are treating taxpayers’ hard earned money with contempt and these cards as a licence to spend.”
These enormous sums cannot go unchecked

David Davies

She added: “Last year, as Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Philip Hammond promised no more expense accounts for quangocrats, so it is unacceptable that the billion-pound perks bill remains cushioned from the cuts.”

Tory backbencher Douglas Carswell called for greater accountability for the 6,606,165 transact ions that had been charged to 146,935 credit cards.

Mr Carswell, MP for Clacton, said: “This is a huge amount of money.” He added: “If politicians want to make good on their promises they have got to get a grip on this sort of waste.”

Commenting on the BBC’s place at the top of the list, he added: “Now I’m starting to realise why the BBC so rarely puts across the small government, low tax point of view if they are also racking up spending on credit cards.”

David Davies, MP for Monmouth, said there should be much more scrutiny of civil servants’ spending to avoid “abuses”.

He said: “They should publish and justify every single payment. It’s as simple as that. These enormous sums cannot go unchecked.

“We cannot have a situation where public officials – many of them on salaries two of three times higher than MPs – are allowed to use credit cards without proper scrutiny.”

David Cameron hit out at the scheme during the televised leaders’ debate in the run-up to last year’s General Election.

The Prime Minister expressed his outrage at the “hideous waste” after it emerged in April 2010 that public sector bosses and quango chiefs spent a record £1billion on the credit cards on fine dining and posh wines.

The latest figures are likely to cause embarrassment to Mr Cameron after it emerged that the number of cardholders has actually risen by 3.5 per cent during his leadership.

The scheme has been in operation since 2002. Since then spending has soared by 1,000 per cent.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/240600/Scandal-of-the-civil-servants-who-run-up-1bn-credit-card-billScandal-of-the-civil-servants-who-run-up-1bn-credit-card-bill#ixzz1JVWfgmoJ

EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty Euro judges...slap in the face for Britain's sovereignty

Post  EarthsAngel Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:57 pm

By James Slck Home Affairs Editor

European judges last night dismissed the Government's final appeal against prisoner voting, riding roughshod over British Sovereignty. The European Court of Human Rights said it was not even prepared to consider the appeal, despite MPs voting overwhelmingly to keep Britain's 140-year ban on inmates taking part in elections.
The court also demanded the right to fix the Parliamentary timetable for introduing the legislation.
If the Government does not bring forward new laws within six months, European judges will begin ordering the payment of an estimated £150million in compensation to killers, rapists and other prisoners.
MPs fear prisoners are certain to be voting by the next general election.
Last night Tory backbenchers reacted with fury to the decision.
Ministers said they were "disappointed", They must now decide whether to risk a full-blown crisis over Europe by refusing to obey the court's verdict.
The ECHR - who's judges do not even need to have any judicial experience in their homeland - first ruled in favour of John Hirst, a convicted axe-killer demanding the right to vote in 2004.
A string of appeals and legal cases followed, before MPs voted by an overwhelming majority in February to defy the court and maintain the ban.
Ministers then made a final appeal to the five-judge of the Grand Chamber of the European Court, it's top tier. But in a judgment made public yesterday, the Grand Chamber refused to even consider the appeal.

EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty Black supremacist group set up by Lab. govt says whites should be banned from standing in elections

Post  EarthsAngel Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm

The black power organisation, operation Black vote, which was set up by the previous labour government with the backing of the other two main political parties has called for whites to be prevented from standing in elections in order to increase the number of Black MPs and councillors. This extremist organisation which is funded by the taxpayer said there were not enough Blacks represented in the Welsh and Scottish parliaments and said short lists should be created which will prevent Welsh and Scottish people standing for election in their own countries. The Lib-lab-con party implemented these anti white male short lists for the 2010 election, now this government funded hate group wants it to be extended to Wales and Scotland. If an organisation called for non-whites to be banned from standing in elections they would be slaughtered by the PC brigade, most likely taken to court by the Equalities commission and if they were receiving any tax payers funding it would be immediately stopped. But no one has said a word about the racism coming from this extremist organisation, in fact they have offered them their support. Double standards anyone? http://www.equalitylaw.co.uk/news/1036/66/Devolved-Scotland-and-Wales-slow-to-embrace-diversity/
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty The Tax Payers has to cough up for this nonsense

Post  EarthsAngel Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Devolved Scotland and Wales slow to embrace diversity
Apr 4, 2011

Despite being set up to empower and involve the people of Scotland and Wales, both their devolved legislatures have been slow to include the countries' ethnic minorities. On this count at least, they have been arguably weaker than Westminster.

Despite having at least 170,000 people from an Asian, black or mixed race background among its electorate - 4% of the Scottish population - Holyrood has only ever had one non-white MSP elected, four years ago.

The Welsh assembly too, despite Cardiff's long history of black settlement and having an overall minority ethnic population of roughly 100,000 people across Wales - at least 3% of the population - first had a minority ethnic member elected in 2007.

>In both legislatures there is a black democratic deficit, said Ashok Viswanathan, deputy director of the campaign organisation Operation Black Vote (OBV).

He believes the case is now strengthening for positive action to promote ethnic minority candidates in both places, including all-black shortlists. Both legislatures originally took steps to ensure gender equality, but not for ethnic minorities.

"There's no reason why they can't introduce positive action programmes for ethnic minorities," Viswanathan said. He said there should be "some way of opening the gateways in the corridors of decision-making, raising confidence, giving people the skills and knowledge so they can play a full and positive role in the democratic process".

In all, there are at least 22 minority ethnic candidates seeking election to Holyrood and Cardiff Bay for the five main parties - Labour, the Tories, the Scottish National party or Plaid Cymru, the Liberal Democrats and the Greens - but only a small number are likely to be elected.

However, in contrast to the Scottish parliament, the Welsh assembly has put in place measures to combat that under-representation. It has a mentoring programme for minority ethnic candidates with OBV. Two of the Welsh candidates on 5 May, Liz Musa for Plaid Cymru and Mari Rees for Labour, came through that shadowing scheme.

Bashir Ahmed, Scotland's only non-white MSP, was elected in 2007 as a list candidate for the SNP but his Holyrood career was shortlived. A senior member of Glasgow's large Pakistani community, he died in early 2009 to be replaced by a white SNP activist who was next on the party list.

The SNP has worked the hardest of the Scottish parties to build up its minority ethnic links and profile, particularly in Glasgow, in a deliberate effort to show that it does not stand for ethnic nationalism but also to build up a new constituency in a city controlled by its main rival, Labour.

Of all the parties, the SNP has selected the only minority ethnic candidate with a very strong chance of being elected next month: Humza Yousaf, a former aide to Alex Salmond and to Ahmed at the Scottish parliament. He is also on the Glasgow regional list, second to the SNP's deputy leader, Nicola Sturgeon.

Labour has set up its own informal minority ethnic "shadowing" project with councillors, MSPs and MPs in Edinburgh, and is standing seven candidates across Scotland. But apart from Yousaf, few of the 16 other minority ethnic candidates have strong chances of winning seats: they are in unwinnable constituencies or too low on regional lists.

And of all the 17 minority ethnic candidates in Scotland, only two are women and neither is in a strong position, raising additional questions about how representative Holyrood can claim to be. In Wales, three of the five minority ethnic candidates so far named are women.

EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty Excellent post!

Post  EarthsAngel Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Who is to blame for fractured Britain?

As David Cameron admits that Britain is disjointed by mass immigration, Ruth Dudley Edwards examines the consequences of our lax policies.

By Ruth Dudley Edwards 7:08PM BST 14 Apr 2011

1198 Comments

I lived for 30 years in South Ealing in West London, which originally was a model little London village. The Poles who arrived after the war were thoroughly integrated, the Hindu shopkeepers got on with everyone, including the local Muslim residents, and although there were new immigrants from perhaps 20 countries, the pace of change was slow and unthreatening. We knew that nearby Southall had long since become an ethnic ghetto, but we were sure this would not happen to us. There were, perhaps, more Indian restaurants in South Ealing than anyone could possibly require, but the only local grumbles I can recall were about some Somali refugees who had trashed their council house.

We all ticked along in our own way. I liked living in South Ealing. But things changed. What ruined our community and the personality of our neighbourhood were the young Eastern Europeans who poured in from 2004 onwards. I am not criticising the character of these young migrants. They were generally hardworking, eager and ambitious. But they arrived all at once in large numbers and, most significantly, had zero interest in integrating. They lived and socialised exclusively together, watched Polish television channels via their satellite dishes, chatted to family back home for free on Skype, set up Polish shops to sell Polish food, newspapers and books, and they learnt only as much English as they had to. Seeing shop after little shop put up the words Polski sklep marked the end of the village I knew.

This is why I applaud the Prime Minister for admitting that people are profoundly disturbed by the havoc that mass immigration has wreaked on parts of Britain. “When there have been significant numbers of new people arriving in neighbourhoods,” he said, “perhaps not able to speak the same language as those living there, on occasions not really wanting or even willing to integrate, that has created a kind of discomfort and disjointedness in some neighbourhoods.”

Many people across Britain – from big cities to smaller towns – will have nodded along to Mr Cameron’s comments. I now live in central London, which I love, but there is no pretence that it is a community: it is the most cosmopolitan city state in the world and largely reflects the upside of immigration – a dynamic employment market and a diverse cultural scene. The downside is visible a few Tube stops down the line from me in places like Tower Hamlets and New Cross where the communities are far more fractured than South Ealing. These areas also suffer from the worrying, spreading rash of Islamism.

Politicians’ consistent refusal to recognise the fractures and strains placed on communities by mass immigration has led to the voter on the street becoming more disillusioned than ever. I am a happy Irish immigrant who has always trusted the instincts of Joe Public. As ministers assured Joe that school standards were higher than ever, he knew they had gone to hell. Unlike his rulers, he knew that the way the welfare system worked encouraged idleness. Political correctness, he spotted, was being used to stifle freedom of speech, particularly about mass immigration. “You’re a racist if you say anything about all these foreigners coming here,” Joe would grumble to his mates, as he looked over his shoulder.

Many of us can identify with these concerns. And being sensible, like Joe Public, we do not blame immigrants for failing to integrate: the blame lies at the feet of our rulers for failing to set clear boundaries by requiring them to learn English, respect British culture and obey the house rules. Instead, the British have been exhorted to change the rules to accommodate the newcomers. It may come as no surprise to read that the Office for National Statistics has discovered that one in eight people in the UK is now foreign born.

The best-known example of Joe Public daring to raise his head above the parapet came in last year’s “Bigot-gate” furore – the encounter in Rochdale between Gordon Brown and Gillian Duffy. What was missed by many was how her voice trailed off: “You can’t say anything about immigrants because you’re saying you’re a…” “Racist” was the unuttered word.

What was bugging Mrs Duffy was that, in Rochdale, tensions between white British and those from Pakistani and Bangladeshi Muslim backgrounds had been exacerbated by an influx of asylum-seekers from Africa, Afghanistan and Iraq. As the white population contracted, immigration and high birth-rates were driving up non-white numbers: a quarter of primary school children spoke English as a foreign language, and so ghettoised were ethnic minorities that there was one primary school where not one of the 453 children spoke English as a first language. And these problems are magnified in places like Luton, Bradford and Leicester.

But so seemingly “taboo” are these thoughts that even the redoubtable Mrs Duffy lacked the courage to tell her prime minister of the effects of multiculturalism on people like her. So in desperation, she spoke about the Eastern European influx, a few thousand of whom had arrived to work locally: “But there’s all these Eastern Europeans coming in. Where are they flocking from?” This was what prompted Brown to call her “bigoted”. What might he have called her if she had mentioned Africans, Muslims or Asians?

Assured by politicians that immigration is under control, locals have the evidence of their eyes and ears telling a different story, whether it be a sharp rise in the women wearing burkas or the newcomers without a word of English, the shortage of school places or the queues at the local medical centre. They know that authorities have underestimated the numbers of migrants in their areas – and that a sizeable portion of immigrants are illegal. As the Prime Minister pointed out, the unscrupulous can easily abuse the system, through, for instance, bogus student visas, people-smuggling and the horrific practice of forced marriages. Yesterday, Cameron took on the liberal establishment when he said: “I have no time for those who say this is a culturally relative issue – it is wrong, full stop, and we’ve got to stamp it out.” How did we end up in a situation where cultural relativism made sections of the educational and medical establishment turn a blind eye even to female genital mutilation?

Britain has long been renowned as tolerant and decent. Extremist parties have always struggled to achieve a sure footing here. And how our politicians relied on this tendency. The mainstream parties were allowed to dodge the issue, terrified of what the liberal media would do to anyone who spoke out of line. Sir Andrew Green of the Migration Watch think-tank who explained the bald facts of unplanned immigration, was treated until recently as a middle-class xenophobe. He must be having the last laugh now, as politicians have been forced to try to reverse the trend that saw well-meaning multiculturalism wreck communities.

A recent Populus poll showed that 63 per cent of whites, 43 per cent of Asians and 17 per cent of blacks thought immigration had been bad for Britain. Very few, however, wanted to stop all immigration, the vast majority believing, as the Prime Minister does, in a pragmatic approach that encourages immigrants to arrive who are for the country. His remarks, said his Liberal Business Secretary Vince Cable, were “unwise” and risked “inflaming extremism”. This is a misreading of reality. What has inflamed extremism and made Joe Public despair, Dr Cable, has been his sense of powerlessness. And if the Lib Dems are in trouble now, consider the implications of the response to the Populus poll’s question: “A new party is going to be set up which says it wants to defend the English, create an English Parliament, control immigration, challenge Islamic extremism, restrict the building of mosques and make it compulsory for all public buildings to fly the St George’s flag or the Union Jack.” 21 per cent said they would support it; 27 per cent would consider doing so; only 27 per cent would definitely not.

Joe Public is not a racist, but he is fed up being taken for a mug. With his speeches on the evils of multiculturalism and mass immigration, David Cameron is at last telling those on whom the British way of life depends that their views are worthy of respect.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8451917/Who-is-to-blame-for-fractured-Britain.html

========================
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty Re: This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events

Post  El Guapo Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:53 pm

South Ealing? Ashton Rowe was in Nrothfields which is in walking distance lol Am defo gonna add my thoughts to this...
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events Empty Re: This is what is going on in your county! A daily diary of events

Post  El Guapo Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 am

Not sure I agree with the first part. South Ealing has been a shithole for a long long time. Recently however it's gone through redevelopment and is actually becoming quite a nice area with Bistros, delicatessans, coffee shops etc.
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down