Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Magic Moon..

+2
El Guapo
Dame Edna
6 posters

Go down

The Magic Moon.. Empty The Magic Moon..

Post  Dame Edna Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:19 pm

I like the idea of posting a story a chapter at a time..So i've pinched your idea EL.. What a Face Very Happy Heres another story, and I hope you y'all enjoy.. Very Happy

The Magic Moon..

The moon was high and shining brightly on this particular August night,and as it had done since he was seven, lit the way for the man as he made his way slowly to the special place, his special place. Deeper into the forrest he went, trampling the undergrowth and brackon as his journey neared completion. He could see the moon before him, beautiful and perfectly round. The locals called it the Magic moon, and he could see why. The forrest was a glow with the shimmering light and a slight breeze whispered through the trees making it come alive. His mind was full of happy memories of the times he had spent here. Just this one night, this one special night was all he had wanted for himself. And hell or high water, or one wife and two kids, were not going to stop him. There had been many questions and rows over the years, but he'd never explained and now it was just accepted by all that he would be off, to who knows where, for the night. He could see the entrance and with a last effort to clear the way he stepped into the moonlit glade. His special place, totaly secluded and as perfect as ever. He looked around and smiled and made his way to his usual spot and sat down under the big oak tree. He rested a while, as this journey had drained him. After a few minutes he prepaired himself, and as he lifted the saxaphone to his lips he started to play.....

She sat waiting on this particular August night,as she had done for the last forty two years. He was late. And as the memories filled her mind she smiled as she remembered that first night. She had heard an awfull sound that was almost pityful. And when she had gone to see what it could be, she had been amazed to see a small boy sitting under the big oak trying so hard to get a tune out of an old and battered school recorder. She had been even more amazed that he had appeared the next year. And as the years passed the instruments had changed. He was now an accomplished musician and quite famouse in his world and the music was delightful.She started to doze. Her eyes were getting heavy and as her body started to relax she heard it. The notes floated up through the trees and caressed her ears. Hes here. She jumped up and stretched, flexing herself in readyness. Quietly she made her way down the oak tree, her gossamar wings steadying her untill she settled on the usual branch just above him. She listened for a while as his music filled the glade. But something wasnt quite right. The music sounded different.Sad almost.She couldnt quite put her finger on it though. After and hour or so he stopped, the music had ended. He lay back totally exhausted and she was now worried as to why things seemed different. Refreshed he gathered his belongings, and as he neared the entrance he turned and smiled. And she saw. The gauntness, the hollow eyes and she knew. After one last look around the glade he was gone, and a single silent tear threaded its way down through the oak tree...

To be continued....
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

The Magic Moon.. Empty Re: The Magic Moon..

Post  El Guapo Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 am

Very Happy

Looking forward to chapter 2!

(I've stickied the thread for you :-) )
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Chapter 2...

The room was quiet now and the overhead light was set on dim. The nurses had been and performed their duties, checking and bustling about making sure all was as it should be. Gordan began to stir, to surface from the abyss. Slowly his mind started to fill with images, dreams and memories. He was awake. How long this time, he wondered, as he opened his eyes trying hard to focus. He knew that his time was nearly up, if nothing else he was a realist, and was greatful for these short periods of consciousness. But there was a price to pay for these times, and that price came in the form of pain, excruciating and unbearable pain. And that was when mr morphine did his thing and sent him back to oblivion. But that was ok, he thought, just to have these few hours was a blessing.

Visiting times were relaxed on ward 15, family and friends of the patients were coming and going all the time, even in the night. It was quite lively sometimes, which amused Gordan, as all the folk here were terminally ill. " And what are you smiling about?" asked Joan his wife, as she came into the room. She walked to his bed a planted a kiss on his cheek. " Nothing really, he replied, just glad to see you". They exchanged the usual pleasantries, Joan busied herself refreshing his drinking water and was telling him all the news from home. But Gordan wasnt really listening, he just nodded and made noises. It was here again. Invading his thoughts, and try as he might he couldnt make it stop. The first time he'd heard it he thought he was dreaming, then decided it was the morphine playing tricks. But he knew deep down it was none of those things. This was real. He had thought of telling his doctor, but knew she would have fobbed him off with some tale or other about his mind being confused or some other excuse. And anyway, how could one explain. Oh by the way doc,
I can hear what sounds like a raindrop falling through a tree. Hed be locked up....

The room was quiet now. Phalia had busied herself seeing to her daughters needs, as she had done for the past month, and left for the night hoping the girl would miraculously be back to normal in the morning. But she knew deep down this wouldnt happen. Everyone that had be consulted about the girls condition had been left baffled. Nothing like this had ever happened before, and it seemed that nothing could be done. The herbalist had given her several potions to administer but none had worked. Phalia had even begged and pleaded with Aldare, the old and wise magician, to come and see the girl. But he seemed reluctant and declared his sevices were the last resort and she should be patient. Well, she was now running out of any patience she had. She was scared.

Fraya stirred. For a moment she was confused and wondered where she was. Then her mind cleared and she remembered. She tried to sit up hoping this time all would be well,but the effort was too much, and she flopped back onto the pillow. What is happening to me, she thought, what have I done. She had never had a days illness in her life and now this. A heart rendering sob shook her frail body and she started to cry. "There there my little one dont take on so" said Phalia as she rushed to her daughters side. "I heard you stirring my love, mommy is here now". The soothing hand and the loving tender care soon calmed Fraya. "Why is this happening mama, what is it?" Phalia tried to give comfort to the girl by saying perhaps she had eaten something in the forrest, or stung herself on a thorn. But Fraya wasnt really listening she just nodded and made smiled weakly. It was in her mind again, invading her thoughts. She tried to clear her mind but it wouldnt stop. It frightened her and she thought it might drive her mad. But who could she tell, who would believe her and what would she say. Oh by the way mama, I can hear what sounds like a raindrop falling through a tree. She would be locked up...

Last edited by nelix on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Chapter 3..

Aldare shuffled around his study quietly muttering to himself. "Its here somewhere, now did I put it...hmmmmm, not there. Scratching at his wirey grey beard and deep in thought he slowly looked around. The study was very untidy and books were scattered everywhere."I really should get these in order" he thought as he picked up and discarded several tomes till at last he found the one he wanted. He took the large heavy book back to his table and sat down, blowing hard at the cover as he went. Clouds of dust filled the air and made him splutter and cough. He settled down and opened the book. He had reluctantly agreed to help Phalia with her daughters problem, after she had barged her way in this morning, arms flailing about and demanding that he do something. She had been distraught and he could see she was near to breaking point. He had managed to calm her after a while and listened while she explained everything that had happened. After Phalia had finished he knew that he was the only one that could help the girl, but to do that he would first have to find the relevant spell. It took him several hours but at last he found it. He hauled his tired body up from the chair, and with a deep sigh put on his cloak and hat and set off to see Phalia and give her the good news...

"Well you're not laughing so thats a good sign" Gordan mused, as his friend Paul sat quietly having listened to the most intriguing tale hed ever heard. All bollix of course. "Dont really know what to say mate to be honest. Its not something you hear every day. But I know you Gord, and I know that what you believe to be true is true, and not some fairy story or drug induced fantacy". Gordan let out a sigh, "Thanks Paul you dont know what a relief it is to tell someone. I've been going out my mind. I couldnt tell Joan, you know how she is". Paul well remembered how she is, crying on the phone all the time, asking him to come round to sit with her. Hardly the right person to take this on board and deal with it rationally. Hell, he thought, looks like its down to me to listen then. Poor Gordan what a way to go out, rambling on about god knows what. He would have to try and help his friend now though, it was the least he could do...

Aldare stood by the girls bed and watched her sleep. "When will you start", whispered Phalia as she took her daughters hand and put it gentley to her lips."Shes getting weaker and I dont think theres much time". "No, theres no time at all for either of them. I must work quickly now if they are to be saved".....

Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:32 pm

chapter 4..

Harvest time was always busy for Phalia, and this year was no exception. The trees and bushes had yieled their fruit and the fields were ripe with crops. Everyone in the village had been out picking and gathering, hoping that they had enough to store for the winter ahead. The only thing left to collect was the honey and this was Fraya's job. Phalia was lovingly stirring and tending to the many pots that were bubbling away on the wood stove, tasting as she went. "Fraya, come along girl, the honey wont fetch itself," she shouted and wondered what could be keeping her.

Fraya yawned as she entered the kitchen and sat down at the table. She had been feeling really tired this past week and most out of sorts. Phalia turned from her pots and smiled at her daughter. But the smile soon faded as she saw how pale and drawn the girl looked.
"You look quite exhausted my love. Tell you what, you go and get the honey and I will have a cup of hot milk and cinnamon waiting for you and you can go back to bed and rest, how does that sound?" she asked. Fraya thought that sounded just what she needed, and set off to the hives. It took her longer than usual and she stuggled with her cargo, but managed to get back to the cottage before she collapsed. Phalia went into action, as any mother would, and somehow got the girl to bed and thats where she had been ever since.

Phalia had been beside herself with worry, and no amount of ministerings by the herbalist had had any effective. Over the days she had questioned the girl about her movements. Which part of the forrest had she been in, had there been any unusual occurences ect. Slowly Fraya had retraced her days and when she had mentioned the glade and the human boy/man Phalia went to fetch Aldare.

Aldare looked at the sleeping girl. Life was slipping away from her."I'm ready, and you must leave now" he said to Phalia, who seemed a little taken aback but left the room. Aldare started his incantations and within two minutes, vanished from the room!

Gordan had been working hard in the studio for over a week, putting the finishing touches to the new album. He was well pleased how the recordings had gone. All the tecnicians had praised him and some were expecting it to shoot into the number one spot. That pleased him, as he knew this was to be the last one. His health had suffered dramatically though, and a few days later he was admitted to hospital and had been there ever since.

The music filled the room and Gordan was layed in his bed, propped up by a mountain of pillows, listening with wonderfull memories flooding his mind. Memories of his childhood, his days at uni, meeting Joan and of course the glade. His special place had been the inspiration for the album, and it had gone straight in at number one as predicted. The music critics had all be amazed and awed by such quality and one had even called him a genius. Gordan smiled at this memory.

A sudden noise broke his reverie, and as he opened his eyes he was quite shocked at what he saw sitting on the bed table! "What the hell?" he exclaimed and started to chuckle. "Oh gowd, please if i'm going to start hallucinating let it be a page three babe or a can of stella. I mean. An elf! who the hell see's an elf?"

"Elf? Elf!! cried Aldare, Do I look like an elf? Do elves have these?" he asked sternly as he turned and offered his back for inspection. "What, said Gordan still chuckling, a hump you mean?" Aldare was confused, then realised he still had his cloak on. He huffed and threw it off and to Gordans amazement a pair of wings unfurled and started to flap! It was then that he noticed the wonderfull colours this person, thing, fairy was wearing. Gold and pale blue tunic, blue trouser things that looked like knickerbockers! And the wings were a shimmering gold and so delicate like a butterfly's.

"So, you are the human man/child", Aldare asked in a rather sniffy manner. You must drink this" and he offered Gordan a tiny phial with a green liquid swishing away inside. "Errr, must? I dont think so pal. What is it anyway? Gordan enquired. "Hemlock" said Aldare.

All the ammusment that Gordan had felt towards the fairy now dissapeared. "You my little flying friend had better start talking. And do it fast. Or you will be taking a dip head first into my orange juice!".....

Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 am

Its a lovely story Nel, looking forward to the rest. study Very Happy
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Thankx olay, I hope you're enjoying it. I'm not expecting this years booker prize but i'm having fun.. Wink Very Happy
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 am

C'mon then Nel! Ive logged in to read the rest, lol.
Have you made this story yourself? Im impatient and tried to google it but no luck. x
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am

Ole Olayyyyyyy cheers I have to say the story is all my own work, Embarassed and the next chaper will coming to a forum near you very soon.. Wink
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy Saville Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am

Interesting to say the least Nel!
Jimmy Saville
Jimmy Saville

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:22 am

The Magic Moon.. 117336 Crikey Nel, you're good! I love reading books and will read anything (almost), I couldnt do it myself but I can see when someone can write a good story. Well done you. x
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

chapter 5..

Mrs Anderton and her niece Bethany had been up since the crack of dawn, dressing the church with flowers and making sure everything was in order. Today was a big occation for st Mary's, although very sad. The camara crews had arrived at 10am, and with the scores of reporters that had decended the lawns and surrounding area were awash with people. Many celebraties from the showbiz world were invited, hence the media coverage. Mrs Anderton tut tutted at the specticle, as she finally left the church and headed home to change and have a bite to eat. She would return in plenty of time to pay her respects.

At 2.30 presicely a lone bell sounded the approach of the funeral prosession. The church was full of mourners, family and friends as well as the many famous people that had been expected. Joan walked slowly down the center aisle with her two childen, each one holding onto her, comforting and helping her. When they had reached their seats an usher urged everyone to stand.

Paul looked around at the many familiar faces and inwardly smiled. You would have loved this mate, he though, as he and five other friends carried Gordan's coffin to the alter accompanied by the haunting melody of his last song, The Magic Moon.

And from high, two silent tears threaded their way slowly down through the old oak tree.

The fire was banked up and the kitchen was warm and cosy. Phalia was sat staring into the glowing embers and was lost in thought. " Well thats that", boomed Aldare and Phalia nearly jumped into the fire. "Aldare, she exclaimed, you fair scared the life out of me. And what do you mean thats that?. Is it done, is Fraya well?" and she rose and started to go to her daughter. "Phalia, come and sit back down. Theres nothing to be done. Its just a matter of time now" he sighed. Phalia looked at him, "Tell me".

Gordan had listened quietly while Aldare had talked. Several times he'd been astonished, and a couple of times he'd almost laughed. "Ok, let me get this straight. All those years ago when I first went to the glade one of your kind saw me there and we somehow got, I dont know, bonded? And this girl will die when I do, is that what you're saying?" asked Gordan although even as he said it, he knew it sounded crazy. "And the only way to save the girl is if I kill myself. Oh well!!thats ok then aint it pal, I mean, i've got very little time left anyway and of course I wouldnt want to spend it with my family now would I, noooo I'll just top myself and you and your fairy friends can live happily ever after!" Gordan was getting angry now. "I know, heres a thought, why doesnt she kill herself so i can live. whats so special about her?" He knew that wasnt what he wanted, he would never hurt a fly let alone anyone else. Aldare listened to his rantings and knew it was hopeless to continue, but he had to try.

"I know to you it sounds rather blunt and a little far fetched, but really, your life is coming to an end. Why should Fraya have to die as well. Theres another world filled with good and honest folk, and through no fault of her own, a young girl has been entangled with you and your world and only you can can save her now"..Aldare had run out of breath and sat back, hoping to appeal to the man's better nature.

Gordan thought for a long time at what Aldare has said, and it all sounded quite reasonable. Were it not for the fact that he didnt really want to die and certainly not by his own hand. And as death was about to claim him anyway he sure as hell wasnt going to give Joan anymore heartache to contend with. " I'm sorry, but its not going to happen. I would never knowingly hurt a child, but I have my own own family to think of" and Gordan turned away.

"Cant you make him do as you wish Aldare" Phalia was pleading now, she was desperate to save Fraya at any cost. " Oh yes, I can make him do what ever I wish but its got to be of his own free will, thats the only way the tie will be broken. I've explained everything to him, I even told him his life is almost ended which it is. He will die tomorrow night". A strange expression crossed Aldare's face that didnt go unnoticed by Phalia. "What is it, she asked, theres something else isnt there. Aldare please, i'm begging you"....

Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  dolly Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:30 am

Ooh Nel..I don't usually read stories or long posts, but this is my type of story..love it xx What a Face
dolly
dolly

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 am

Absolutely excellent! Very Happy
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Wink

chapter 6..

Gillington is the smaller of the four villages that surround the great forrest. And most of the inhabitants were indoors on this chilly october evening. Aldare made his way quickly through the lanes, his cloak wrapped tightly round his body shielding him from the cold. He had sent word earlier to the elders, asking for a meeting to discuss a matter of the upmost importance. The meeting was granted, and scheduled for 10pm. Aldare arrived at the council chamber with minutes to spare, and was just getting himself composed when the great door opened and he was ushered in. The four elders nodded and greeted Aldare and one gestured that he should sit. "Good evening Aldare, said Meldore, I trust you are well. I have to say this is most extraordinary and somewhat intriguing, so please carry on". And Aldare did. He spoke for almost an hour, leaving nothing out and when he was finished sat back and let out a big sigh. He was exhausted, the last few days had all but worn him out. There was a long silence, and Aldare wondered if this was a good sign or not. Meldore cleared his throat. "Please wait in the outer chamber Aldare, we will discuss your request and issue our answer presently".

The elders had been diliberating for forty minutes and Aldare was getting sleepy. He hoped his petition had not been in vain. Everything rests on the elders now, he thought. The door to the inner chamber opened and the usher asked him to enter. He took his place in front of the elders and waited for their decree.

Meldore spoke. "We have listened to your petition Aldare, and whilst we sympathise with all concerned we are honour bound to do our duty, which is to protect and safeguard the citizens of our land. We have co-existed in peace and harmony with the human world for centuries. We are very different, humans have certain traits that we feel could contaminate and bring discord to our village". Aldare was now fearing the worse. How was he to explain to Phalia? A great wave of sorrow and despondency swept through his heart. "However, Meldore said, which made Aldare sit up, "we are benevolent folk and should do all we can to help Fraya and the human in their desperation. Therefore your request is granted. But Aldare, you are also charged with instructing and guiding this human in our ways. He will need carefull handling as the transition will be somewhat traumatic for him. We wish you good speed in your quest." And with that, the elders nodded their heads slightly and left the chamber. Aldare wasted no time, and gathered his cloak from the usher and headed back to Phalia.

He burst into the kitchen, again making Phalia jump. "Theres no time to explain, I have to fetch the man/child. And as Phalia was about to ask what happened, Aldare mumbled something she couldnt quite hear and vanished!. Phalia stood for many minutes, open mouthed and astonished.

The room was full of people, some were quietly chatting while Joan was sat holding and gently stroking Gordans hand. The two children sat at the other side of the bed and looked lovingly at their dad. The family had been summoned by dr wilson, as death was imminent. Aldare looked at the sad faces, but had no time to spare on condolences. He chanted a few words and Gordan opened his eyes. "you!" he accused, "what the hell do you want this time".

"There is a way I can help both you and Fraya. But you must give yourself to me freely" and Aldare explained to Gordan how this could be done. "Theres very little time left for you now, your family and friend are here saying their goodbyes. Give yourself to me now and we can begin the transition".

Gordan looked around the room, but noone was there. Aldare noticed his confusion and said,"You are in a deep coma, and I am in your mind and thoughts. Your family have already accepted your death so give yourself to me and you can live again with us and Fraya will be saved".

"I'm scared, Gordan cried, I dont want to die".

And the transtion began.....
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:46 am

study Thumbs up! x
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 pm

chapter 7...

Metamorphosis took 3 days to complete and Gordan now slept. Aldare had been especially watchfull, making sure the transition was as painless and stress free as possible. He was now sat next to Gordans bed, cup of herbal tea in hand, thankfull that all seemed well. That was the easy part, he thought. Now comes the real test, getting you to accept your new way of life. Aldare had, for some strange reason, grown quite fond of this human but he would never admit it to anyone.

Dr Wilson listened to Gordans heart for any vital signs, there were none. She shook her head and turned to Joan. "I'm so sorry Joan". Death was registered at 12.57am. Aldare was very supprised at how sad he actually felt, and as he looked around the room he was swept up in the grief. But there was work to be done and no time to spare. Sighing he reached into the bag he had brought with him, and took out a small piece of silk like cloth no bigger that a hankerchief. With a flick of his wrist the cloth expanded slowly and spread, hovering over Gordans body. Several minutes later the family left the room, after saying their last goodbyes. Aldare waited. He didnt have to wait too long though, and as the first tendrils of silver smoke like strands broke through Gordans body, he was on full alert. Hundreds of these strands, which were Gordans spirit, were caught and held fast and the most important element soon followed. A snowy white, almost tranclucent shimmering light which was Gordans soul. Aldare lost no time and gathered together the soul catcher muttering a spell as he went and promptly vanished with his precious gargo.

Fraya was confined to bed. She had wakened three days earlier and although she was fully recovered from her malaise, was still feeling weak. Phalia had insisted on bed rest for a least a week, but Fraya had told her to stop fussing as she felt perfectly well. They compromised and today Fraya would get up for the first time in weeks, and sit in the kitchen for a while. As she aproached the door she could hear voices. Her mother was talking with Aldare, and as she stepped into the kitchen they both fell silent. "Oh, I didnt mean to intrude. I'll go back to my room", and turned to leave. But Aldare called her back and said he had something to explain to her. And explain he did.

"So hes here, in the village?" Fraya exclaimed! "Where is he, is he well. Can I see him before he returns to his world, I'd like to say how sorry I am for all this upset".

"Fraya, I dont think you fully understand, Aldare said, He cant return anywhere, hes one of us now".

Gordan stretched and riddled about on the bed. Something was digging into him. He reached an arm round to move whatever it was and felt something strange sticking out from his back. He was trying hard to have a good feel but gave up and instead swung his legs out of bed and sat on the side. "So, you are awake" Aldare asked. Here" and a mirror of sorts was thrust at him. "No time like the present, may as well get it over with in one go".

"What the fu.., Gordan shouted as he stared at the face in the mirror. It was him, but not quite him. He turned his head slightly and the reflection he saw had a distinct look of horror. "Oh my god, oh my GOD! I look like a Vulcan! I've turned into Mr Spock". Aldare had no idea what he was talking about. "You are now one of us, and your training will begin tomorrow." Gordan was confused, baffled and more than a little frightened. Aldare heaved a sigh, and once more set about explaining what had occured, as he had done earlier with Fraya. Gordan was dumbstruck. But slowly his mind began to piece together the jigsaw of memories.

"So, i'm dead", this was said as a statement rather than a question and Gordan felt like crying. "Ouch!" what was that for?, and Aldare answered. " You felt that pinch, so no, you are not dead. Now get dressed we are going out".....

Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:51 am

I caught up with your story at long last Nel, it's absolutely brilliant, its keeping me spellbound. Well done cheers
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I love you
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:54 pm

chapter 8..

The wind whistled through the old oak tree and Gordan shivered. One moment he was admiring his new fancy clothes in the mirror and the next he was sat up a tree with Aldare! Gordans shocked expression didnt go unnoticed by Aldare and he waited for the inevitable questions. "What are we doing sat up a tree and how did you do that? You said we were going out. A little warning might not have gone amiss you know, I might have been a little more prepared"!

"There was no time for explanations or we would have been late and this way was the quickest."

"Late? For what? Gordan asked. "For this" Aldare said and pointed eastwards. A lone bell sounded the approach of the funeral prosession. Joan and the children walked in front of the hearse with the vicar and the hoards of mourners surrounding the church fell silent. Once Joan and the children had entered the church the six pall bearers took their place and the coffin was secured on their shoulders. The slow walk through the churchyard began. Paul and the other five bearers, who were all Gordans band members, were each lost in their own personal thoughts. Aldare however wasnt prepaired for the overwhelming distraught that now took hold of Gordan and the sobs of despair affected him quite strongly, and as the service began two silent tears threaded their way slowly down through the old oak tree.

The cottage was warm and cosy but Gordan felt cold and sick to his stomach. He had been sat staring into the fire for hours, silent and in deep thought. Aldare came and sat beside him and offered him a glass of mead. "Here drink this Gordan, it will do you good" he said. "What is it" Gordan asked. "Hemlock".

Gordan turned sharply and saw the smile on Aldares face, and the mood was lifted. "Ha ha very funny" he said as he remembered their first meeting and took the glass and drank deeply. "Why did you take me there. Why would anyone want to witness their own funeral? You certainly have some funny ideas I must say. And has anyone ever told you your bedside manner is lousy".

"In order for you to start living your new life you had to let go of the old one" Aldare explained.

Gordan paused for a moment and nodded. That makes sense I suppose, he though. "You know Aldare, you called me Gordan just now for the first time since we met"

"Well perhaps it is a new start for both of us then" he said as he held his class towards Gordan. "A new start" Gordan echoed as they toasted each other.

Fraya was nervous. All her enthusiasm at meeting Gordan had dissipated when she realised he was no longer human and would be living here in the village as one of them. As the appointed hour approached all manner of questions and doubts went through her mind. The most serious one being, would he blame her for all the troubles hes encountered.

Gordan admired himself in the mirror and was pleased he had chosen the silver and blue. When Aldare had first show him his new wardrobe he had been amazed. Such wonderfull colours and delicate embroidery. Aldare had answered his questioning look."The seamstress has been working away getting your new apparel ready for your new life with us". "Wow, Gordan had exclaimed, this must have cost a fortune!" Aldare explained."We dont use money here like in your world. Everyone works to the best of their ability for the good of the village, giving their services for all to share. You will eventually find a niche and your efforts will also benefit all". Sounds good, Gordan thought. I wonder if they have a village idiot.

Gordan was ready and asked Aldare if he should take Fraya a present. "How about some sweeties, all little girls like them. I hope shes not nervous, I'm good with kids so i'll put her at ease", he said. "Come along Gordan we must not be late. And I dont think sweeties would be appropriate" and with that they set off to meet Fraya.

Phalia answered the door and welcomed Aldare and Gordan gesturing for them to come in. Gordan was impressed. The kitchen was warm and cosy and the smell of freshly baked fruit pies made his stomache growl with longing. He was busy making pleasentries with Phalia and hadnt noticed the other woman in the room. She was about his age and very pleasing on the eye. This must be Frayas mother, he thought. Aldare cleared his throat and said, " Gordan may I introduce Fraya". Gordan looked past the woman expecting to see the little girl. He turned to Aldare a puzzled look on his face. "Hello, said Fraya, welcome to Gillington.

Gordan was shocked. "You are Fraya? He said accusingly. He turned to Aldare ignoring her and continued."You said she was a child. I went through all this because I thought I was helping a CHILD!" Gordan had raised his voice and all Frayas fears overtook her and she burst into tears and ran from the room.

"That went well" Aldare mused. He had explained to Gordan on the way home how time here was very different to the human world. And Fraya was indeed a child. Or more to the point what he would call a teenager. As was Gordan. Life expectancy in this world was far greater. Gordan shook his head. "So much to learn. Will she ever forgive me Aldare" he asked in despair.....
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:14 pm

chapter 9..

Gordans new life started the very next day and after a few months he had indeed found his niche within the village. It wouldnt have been the first or even the last idea of the prefect job, but Gordan took to his new roll as woodsmith with gusto and now supplied several households with their daily firewood. He had been chopping wood for Aldare when one of the neighbours had asked if she could take a small bundle. Of course he had said yes and word soon spread and now business was booming. After living in London and leading a busy hectic life the slow meandering pace of village life suited him just fine. He was very popular among the younger crowd who were all around his age actually. This age thing still baffled him but gave him great amusment too, and he spent most evenings at the alehouse telling tales of his former life. He often thought of his family and friends and sometimes got quite teary, usually after a glass or six, but now tried to pace himself limiting his intake to a couple. The first night he had ventured into the pub he had got so drunk on the fruit wine he had woken up the next day under a shrub and the hangover had lasted two days. He had also been practicing on the flute like instument he had found laying gathering dust in one of Aldares cupboard and now he had mastered it was composing again. All in all life was good. Apart from one little hiccup.

Fraya was mortified. He did blame her! After Aldare and Gordan had left the house Phalia went to Fraya to give her comfort. She explained the situation of how age is so different to humans, although she didnt fully understand it even after Aldare had told her. "He hates me mama and blames me for all his misfortunes" Fraya cried.

"Dont take on so. I am sure once he gets used to life here all will be well" said Phalia, and hoped that indeed all would be well. After the last few weeks she needed everything to be well!

As the weeks passed Gordan and Fraya saw very little of one another. Gordan had attempted several times to talk to her but Fraya had hurried away before he could speak, and now she barely gave him a second thought.

"Tonight we're gonna burn the village up Aldare!" Gordan said,"So get your gladrags on and your dancing shoes warmed up".

"Your enthusiasm is quite touching Gordan but quite misplaced when directing it at me!" Aldare answered."I'm far too old for all that whooping and hollering and I have never had need of a pair of dancing shoes. I will of course be attending the wedding but shall retire afterwards and let you and the others enjoy the festivities".

Today was the wedding of Gordans friend and drinking buddy Haydal. He was marrying his sweetheart Bell and they had asked Gordan to be witness. Gordan had been honoured and said yes at once. Several of Bell's friends had enquired if Gordan was betrothed and were very pleased when she told them no, and a couple had vowed to themselves to try and change that.

The wedding took place at midday and was a very happy and joyous occasion. The evening festivities were to begin at sundown and Gordan was now at home resting in readyness. He felt a little restless so decided to go for a walk in the forrest, a place he loved and visited often.

Fraya had gathered the last of the honey and was securing her bundle when Gordan said hello. She jumped in suprise and threw the bundle in the air. Gordan caught it and shouted "Hozat!" and laughed. Fraya didnt laugh, she berated him for creeping up on her and frightening her. "I'm sorry Fraya, he said still laughing," I didnt mean to scare you honest. How are you, i've not seen you about for a while". He handed the bundle back and waited for her reply.

"I have to go", she said as her wings futtered into action and she took flight. "No dont go. Please Fraya I cant follow you my wings havent fully grown yet. I just want to talk to you. God damn it woman" he was shouting now in frustration. She was gone. He sat down and sighed. What do I have to do, he thought to himself. He looked lost and forlorn as Fraya watched him from high in the tree. How many years have I done that, she thought, as she remembered. She landed at his feet and smiled. He returned the smile and wondered if it was true. Could you fall in love so easily.....
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 am

I just noticed Nel, your signature suits this story very well. Which came first? x
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Dame Edna Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Hey Olay xx..the sig came first..its how I feel about life. I see a person with no imagination as very grey, and all the others are rainbow bright.. cheers sunny
Dame Edna
Dame Edna

Back to top Go down

Post  Olay Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

In that case, you have many colours. sunny Keep smiling Nel, tis a wonderful life. Very Happy
Olay
Olay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down