Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battles BC - Moses: Death Chase

2 posters

:: History

Go down

Battles BC - Moses: Death Chase Empty Battles BC - Moses: Death Chase

Post  El Guapo Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 am

Most consider the Israelite Exodus out of Egypt an act of Divine intervention. Whether inspired by God or not, the Exodus is not merely a migration of slaves, but a military maneuver by a group of combat-hardened mercenaries. An enraged Pharaoh releases his army to hunt the Israelites down after they sack an Egyptian town as they make their exit. But Moses's sharp military mind and intimate knowledge of the terrain prove more than the massive, heavily armed Egyptian army can handle. While the Israelites perform a complicated night water crossing, Moses lures the Egyptians to a watery grave in the Sea of Reeds.

El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Battles BC - Moses: Death Chase Empty Re: Battles BC - Moses: Death Chase

Post  northern-star Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am

Do you believe that Moses actually existed though? as his story is plagiarised from the myth of Sargon of Akkad of around 2250 b.c.
northern-star
northern-star

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:11 am

Not strictly true. The story of Moses being found in a papyrus ark among the reeds by the riverside has many parallels in ancient lore. One of these parallels is the account of the great Sargon I of Akkad (c. 2400 B.C.). The cuneiform legend of the ninth century B.C. thus speaks of Sargon: "My humble mother conceived me; she bore me in secret, placed me in an ark of bulrushes, made fast my door with pitch and gave me to the river which did not overwhelm me. The river lifted me up and carried me to Akki, the irrigator . . . Akki, the irrigator, hauled me out . . . took me to be his son and brought me up" (Hugo Gressmann, Altorientalische Texte and Bilder zum Alten Testament [1909], 1:79).

However there are other equally similar stories in history that could also be attributed to the Moses legend as the concept of a child being abandoned is pretty common.

There is certainly no necessity to postulate a common origin for such simple, natural romances, but "if one must do so, the episode of Moses (sixteenth century B.C. may have been the inspiration of them all (S. Caiger, Bible and Spade [1936], p. 68).

(Edit - I won't lie...some of the above was googled lol)
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down