Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics!

2 posters

Go down

This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics! Empty This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics!

Post  El Guapo Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:49 am

Any of you remember the motion picture Cool Runnings about the first Jamaican Winter Olympic Bobsleigh team?

Well...say hello to the first Ghanaian Ski team! Ghana, situated in North West Africa, has probably one of the smallest levels of rainfall in the world. As for snow, this is something the residents have only ever heard about.

Nevertheless, Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong, is preparing to take on the world's best after qualifying for next week's Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Dubbed the Snow Leopard, the 35-year-old father-of-two only saw snow for the first time ten years ago - at Heathrow Airport - and stepped on to a snow-covered mountain for the first time just six years ago, in France.

He admits that being the first Ghanaian Winter Olympian - let alone being the first downhill skier - is a huge achievement.

He says: "I think it was like sending a Ghanaian to the moon. I feel great about competing and all my friends in Ghana think it is really cool. I'm very proud of my heritage and being a role model for other Africans and Ghanaians to follow their dream. Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it."

Nobody expects Kwame Nkrumah-Acheampong to do particularly well at the Olympics but that isn't really the point here.

The point is that no matter how fantastical your dreams may be, if you work hard, and believe in them enough, then dreams can come true.

This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics! Kwame-nkrumah-acheampong1

This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics! 3D63326FBC57F435A7F84F617644C
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics! Empty Re: This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics!

Post  EarthsAngel Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 am

What a lovely Story El, I remember 'Cool Runnings', really great movie.

Even if this guy comes last, he will always be a winner in most peoples eyes, I wish him all the luck in the world for trying so hard.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics! Empty Re: This Is The Reason I Love The Olympics!

Post  El Guapo Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:46 am

Yeh me too.

Sometimes it really isn't winning that's important. It's just the taking part.
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down