Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you Know? Whey Protein

3 posters

Go down

Did you Know? Whey Protein Empty Did you Know? Whey Protein

Post  EarthsAngel Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 am

Did You Know...

... that whey protein can turn your body into a fat-burning furnace?

Whey is a milk-based protein which is a by-product of cheese production. It has the highest biological value (BV) among all proteins. This means that it has a higher amino acid content, and is the most easily absorbed by the body compared to other rich sources of protein, including milk, soy and egg whites.

Everyone knows that in order to attain an attractive, well-defined, firm and youthful body, one needs ... protein, protein and more protein! When it comes to shaping your body, nothing is more important than building lean muscle. And when it comes to building muscle, nothing is more important than getting the right amount of protein. Here's why:

Protein has 4 calories per gram, but when it's being digested, it burns 6 calories per gram. Therefore, whereas both carbohydrates and fat burn calories equivalent to their respective caloric values, protein burns 50% more calories. A diet rich in protein can also raise your Resting Metabolic Rate by as much as 68%. Simply said, just by eating protein, you immediately speed up your metabolic furnace, thereby enabling your body to increase lean muscle mass and accelerate the fat-burning process.

Whey protein is arguably the best protein source for building lean muscles. Many people have found that consuming a good whey protein supplement in addition to the protein they derive from meat and fish, is the ideal way to fortify their body with extra protein -- especially because the body assimilates whey protein better than hard-to-digest animal flesh. Furthermore, it doesn't have the saturated fats that beef and other animal proteins have.

Whey also has medicinal properties, and has been proven to prevent cancer in animals. It has been shown to provide an extra boost to the immune system by increasing glutathione (GSH) levels in cancer patients, or patients with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), because whey protein is rich in the amino acid cysteine.

Whey protein powder is widely used by athletes and body builders, who consume 60 grams or more per day to maintain their muscle mass. That level of whey protein intake, however, is excessive for average individuals. If you have a sedentary, non-athletic lifestyle, and you wish to use whey to support your weight loss goals, many people find that 20 to 40 grams a day is sufficient. For medicinal purposes, 40 to 80 grams has been shown to be ideal.

An often overlooked use of whey protein is among senior citizens. Whey protein has been shown to help prevent bone loss and limit muscle loss over time. Many nutritionists believe that whey protein should be part of every senior citizen's nutritional diet.

Whey protein powder is widely available at health food stores (such as Whole Foods), supplement stores (such as Vitamin Shoppe), and from countless online retailers.

Always choose the non-denatured type of whey protein. That's because the process of denaturation breaks down the natural protein structures and minimizes their biological activity. Select a whey protein manufacturer that does not expose the whey to high temperatures (thereby affecting protein quality), and one that carefully does everything to preserve the vital whey protein fractions, such as the health-promoting immunoglobulins, glyco macro peptides, lactoferrin, etc. One such product is Designer Whey Protein manufactured by Next Proteins.

Last edited by EarthsAngel on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Did you Know? Whey Protein Empty Re: Did you Know? Whey Protein

Post  lizziebear Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 am

hi ea.
ive also heard that protein is good for you.

but with me being a vegetarian and i dont eat eggs or meat. how do i get more protein to help me.thanks

what foods are high in protein for a vege
lizziebear
lizziebear

Back to top Go down

Post  El Guapo Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:54 am

Nuts Smile

No...not that kind. The other kind...lol

Walnuts, hazlenuts, peanuts etc..
El Guapo
El Guapo
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lizziebear Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:10 am

ooh i say, lol
i do like my nuts

waluts hazelnuts peanuts. thanks
lizziebear
lizziebear

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:42 am

Hi Saffy, walnuts are the highest protein, 5 a day is all the protein the body needs. The Whey protein is a by-product of cheese and 20 grams a day will kick-start the metabolism and burn fat. It's nice mixed with a fruit smoothie or you can get flavoured Whey and have a milk shake (low-fat or fat-free milk) My fav is apple and almond smoothie. I use 3 apples, handful of whole almonds and fat-free milk, switch on the smoothie maker and you have a nutritious and filling breakfast.
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lizziebear Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:56 am

hi ea, i used to make smoothies, years ago, got out of maiing them .
i used to use low fat milk and low fat yoghurt ,with a banana in and walnuts, it was yummy.
i also do orange juice with banana and .ooh and i loove mango juice too,

i usd to make mango milk shakes ,they were delish. i looked on the web yesterday and found some whey for 14.99 .for about 1000grams in weight, not sure how long that will last. is that all you need 20 grams a day. thanks
lizziebear
lizziebear

Back to top Go down

Post  EarthsAngel Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:31 am

Saffy, 20g a day from 1kg of Whey will last 50 days, so £14.99 sounds good. I think you may have to pay postage as well, so be careful.

Peanuts are loaded with fat, not a good idea if you are on a diet, but all other nuts are good as long as you don't have too many x
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Did you Know? Whey Protein Empty Hi Saffy

Post  EarthsAngel Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Sorry I couldn't really explain in chat last night as it was so busy. But you should cut it down to 15grams a day for a week and gradually build up to 20g again. You are getting palpitations because your metabolism is now kicking into gear. It's good thing because its eating up the calories and the weight will start to drop off. You will also have more energy so try and do some exercise or go for a nice long walk. You should see a big difference in a month, sooner if you exercise.

Good luck with it and let me know how you are doing. xxx
EarthsAngel
EarthsAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lizziebear Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:47 pm

ooh thank you ea. i was a bit worried ,but ive noticed more energy.and cant sit still lol.
im waking up early and cant get back t sleep. and the weight has come down a bit,
im at docs this week for my menoause test cause that can have the same symtoms apparantly , anxiety etc, so i will get the results the week after.

the doc was concerned cause last wed my blood pressure was abnormally high and id just had the whey an hour before i went. so it could be a factor of many things, time will tell. thanks again . hope your good too.
lizziebear
lizziebear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum